Commenting on the publication of the Building Safety Bill, Lesley Rudd, Chief Executive of Electrical Safety First said:
“We are extremely disappointed with this Bill, which, as it stands, fails to introduce mandatory electrical safety checks in high-rise buildings. This is a missed opportunity to better protect residents from electrical danger. Less than two months ago a tower block in East London was badly damaged, and residents forced to flee, after a fire originated in a consumer unit.
High-rise living presents unique and often increased risks and the Government’s Bill should reflect this. Many high-rise tower blocks consist of privately rented, social and owner occupied flats and as such, without mandatory electrical safety checks for all of the flats within a block, safety remains a lottery based on tenure.”